Friday, September 22, 2006

What Makes an Icon?

Dolle's on an October EveningDolles is a candy shop on the Boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. I've photographed those red letters up there a few times. This one is one of my favorites.

Scanning through photos from "my contacts" on flickr this afternoon, I noticed that salnunzio has also posted a nice shot of the Dolles sign.

It turns out that we're not the only ones.

It got me thinking about those images -- signs, views, vistas -- that have become icons. The Dolles sign is an icon for the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk, I guess.

It's hard to think of the boardwalk without it.

1 comment:

galaxy girl said...

nothing screams SUMMER to this native Delaware girl quite like the aroma of fresh Dolle's popcorn mixing with the scent of Coppertone wafting along that shoreline ...

Post a Comment